Saturday, December 24, 2005

1225

According to the Christian tradition and faith, on this date the messiah was born. The greatest gift of love and sacrifice; God gave up his own son, so that every human that believe in him would have eternal life.

And in this I believe. And in celebration of that moment I wish everyone a
Merry Christmas!

While maybe our remembrance of this moment might have sprouted roots and flourished under a commercial celebration, and found a symbol in the story of Saint Nicholas
(click here to track Santa's journey), the spirit remains the same. People are in their best behavior, spreading love and joy. Remembering and appreciating not only family members, but also friends. The tradition of gift-ing is nothing but that of giving love and joy. And remembering those who we care about, those who somehow have touched our lives and make it a little better.

When I make gifts, I make sure that I follow three rules of thumb: Number one, I try to make it meaningful. There is no point in preparing a nice wooden box full of a variety of teas, when I have shared many precious moments over coffee with that person. Last year, I gave my friend a small model Hummer, for I could not buy the real one. The second rule I follow is to make gifts that might introduce someone to something new. In this case the box of tea above might work, only if the person had mentioned to me that they drink tea. And my third rule of thumb is to provide gifts that are produced by the giver. I got a nice batch of biscottis and chocolate covered pretzels this year. I wish I could bake!

However, this brings me to the following point; it does not matter what you get, always be grateful and graceful. By the way, thanks Des for the tree graphic. And thank you Play in the City for the next graphic and muse.

I think the best spirit of Christmas is best captured by George Bailey. The man who gave throughout the year, just to be remembered by all his friends when it counted. "To my big brother George, the richest man in town". We might complain about bad things in our lives, but would it be any better without us in it? Thanks Helen for making me rent "Its a Wonderful life"!

I recently learned that the non-denominational holiday of Festivus has as one of its main components the "airing of grievances". Participants at the dinner table air out the disappointments received by some of the other participants at the table throughout the year. I propose that we do not air how were we disappointed, but that in the spirit of love and joy we make it a point to approach those we have disappointed, and give the gift of being re-born, or start anew.

So, whatever your believe is, the reason for the season is all about love. About joy. And about giving! Now,If you please excuse me, I am going to have some coquito, some chestnuts roasted over open fire, and think about my relatives, friends ... and ponder about what I just told you. Posting from my native land of San Juan, Puerto Rico, Feliz Navidad!, All!

Merry Christmas MOM!
.......Merry Christmas Ruth!

6 Comments:

Blogger Lori said...

It's a Wonderful Life....one of my favorites....Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!!

Hoping the new year brings you wonderful memories!!!

12:50 AM  
Blogger Cheri said...

Merry Christmas Tony! Your thoughts were certainly very heartwarming!!

So, In Puerto Rico? Does Santa wear swim trunks when he delivers his presents?!?!

10:29 AM  
Blogger TMelendez said...

L~
Thank you !!!
Right Back at ya!

C~
Thanks! Happy Hanukah 2 u!

Santa on a b-suit? Depending what type of present...

I have heard he has been seen in nice looking-sexy boxer shorts.. but Im not certain what was he delivering then...!!!!

T

11:34 AM  
Blogger Sweetmiss said...

Hope you had a Merry Christmas.

((((hugs))))
Sweet

9:35 PM  
Blogger Cheri said...

I LOVE that song!! How did you know? LOL

12:38 AM  
Blogger John said...

Great posting hope you had a Merry Christmas and here's to a heathy, happy New Year!

6:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home