Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Blessings in Disguise.

A bird misses out on an early 'flight' south shortly before winter time. The weather gets bad and the bird decides to flee; but its too late. While in flight the wings freeze, the bird loses lift and plummets to the snow accumulated on a farm below. Buried on the snow, the bird thinks this is it. However, one of the cows in the farms is strolling along and takes a dump right on the spot where the bird is buried. The warm manure melts the snow enough for the bird to stick his now brown head out. And the fable continues, but one of its morals is that even when you are crapped on, it might not be such a bad thing.

In the movie Sliding Doors, the director tells a story in two simultaneous times: What happens to the life of the main character (played by Gwyneth Paltrow) when she 'fights off the sliding door' and catches her morning train to work, and when she misses it. When she misses the train she tries to catch a cab, gets mug and suffers a small cut in her forehead. She returns to her apartment just to catch her living-in boyfriend cheating on her. Not a good thing, but in the long run she gets rid of this no good man. It took her much longer and much wasted time to know the truth when she caught the train.

Garth Brooks sings about not marrying the woman he really liked when he was young, but how happy he was with whoever ended up being his wife. He tells us in that song that 'sometimes he thanks God for unanswered prayers; and to remember when we are talking to the man upstairs that just because he doesnt answer it doesn mean he don't care'.

These examples serve as my background for the thought of Blessings in Disguise. A thought which was spurred on by a friend of mine today after the events at the Miami International Airport where a 44 year old gentleman was shot by a Federal Air Marshall. We did not get into the specifics of what she meant. I recognized immediately it was definitely a very interesting approach. But, it left me thinking, how many times in our lives do we sit down and try to dissect or identify those Blessings in Disguise?

A little over a year ago I had the opportunity to interview for a new and exciting job, with obviously more money on the line. I needed to schedule a second interview with the hiring manager regarding a compensation packet and a business plan. Unfortunately, I had to go out of town, and while checking my messages, I could not hear this one particular voice mail. It was a weekend, and by the time I responded to the voice mail on Tuesday, I had lost my opportunity for not contacting them back in a timely fashion. It would be an understatement to say how upset I was. It took me days to get over it.

However, a few weeks later my mother passed away unexpectedly, and I was able to fly home and stay with my dad for 2 weeks before returning to work. I kept making repeated visits on the weekends, leaving work early on Fridays, and sometimes coming in a little bit later on Mondays. Something that I would have not been able to do with a new job. So there was a blessing in disguise.

And as I sat and ponder, I wonder how many times in our lives we do not recognize these blessing in disguise. I also realize that blessings do not only come 'disguised' in negative situations. Meeting a new person provides all the good feelings that a human can experience. All the positive things that we can point out to, that is. Having good friends and our interaction with them also provide good experiences. But, what are the blessings in disguise that we are not that easily aware of within those relationships?

So, let us every once in a while meditate on those things in our lives that we might not easily see, but that might be making our lives a little bet better. Those Blessings in Disguise.

7 Comments:

Blogger Desireous said...

Great post, very thought provoking.

Hugs
Des

12:19 PM  
Blogger Sweetmiss said...

T.....
You sure like to make a girl think. I was just talking about this with OM.

When I first met my current husband I realized that we should have met years ago. We had gone to the same church, but at different times. We had the same friends in highschool, but at different times. If these circumstances had brought us together back then, we wouldn't even have talked to one another. It's like that song 'Somewhere out there', we just weren't ready to meet yet.

Now after we've met and we've been happily married for 2 almost 3 years I think about all the circumstances that came together so we could finally meet and I know that it was the way it was meant to happen.

I find myself now wishing I had never met OM, that he had never entered my life. But if he hadn't shown up then I would never have been able to realize certain things about myself that I still am exploring.

Things in life do seem to happen for a reason, I doubt we'll ever know the full explanation for them or their impact, I guess it is just another one of those mysteries in life.

Okay, now that my brain hurts after thinking too much, that is the most I have thought in days because I have been sick, I am going to lie down now.

Sweet

5:18 PM  
Blogger TMelendez said...

Thanks Des,
Thanks Sweet,

The words "blessings in disguise' were uttered by a woman..
My never resting mind just expanded.. and there is no better feedback than what you both provided, and that is great!

Sweet.. Your 4th paragraph captures the essence.. thigns that we do good or bad, makes us realize X, Y and Z. And too bad, like you said, we'll never find out how everything works!

Hum, Who would have told me I was going to make a women head hurt.. for a change!!!
((looking around..
"WHO SAID THAT?????"))

7:17 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

Blessing ahhhhh!!!.....This is a saying I say alot when things work in weird ways.....When I got pregnant with my daughter back in 2001....I had a hard time dealing with it....I didn't want to bring a baby in this world...and so on....I had decided in my head....it was for the best....And how I got pregnant is a good question.....always being so careful.....And today I look at her....and can't imagine my life without her....She's a blessing to me everyday....and brings joy to my heart....Even thou she wasn't in MY plan....but a higher one....She was truly a blessing in disguise in so many ways!!!

You know that song by Garth Brooks....I have always gave it great thought!!!....Wonderful song!!!

Great post!!!....Have a great weekend!!!

12:42 PM  
Blogger TMelendez said...

Nice Lori.. nice!
T

2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post Tony. One of the best I have read. You sure like to make a boy think, also!

2:43 PM  
Blogger Cheri said...

Hey Tony! I couldn't sleep so I decided to cruise your blog...lot's of interesting stuff and I learned a lot about you tonight. I took the life quiz....you don't want to know the results! LOL

1:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home