Sunday, December 18, 2005

What a BLAST!!

......and other Christmas 'Lights'

I received a call from a friend earlier this week; she wanted me to get tickets for us to go and see "BLAST". But what in the world is "BLAST" ? I love anything theatre, so I welcomed the opportunity.

This show, more or less, is in the family of STOMP, RIVERDANCE, BLUE MAN GROUP. Music combined with choreography and theatrics. However, it adds the familiar concepts of your local town color guards, high school bands, stepping groups and drum corps. Let me just say, this show is major candy for the senses!!! Unlike regular theater, where people clap, whistle, hoot and holler at the end of a scene, during BLAST, these actions take place the entire show!

Think about the Rockettes with their tight choreography; except that besides dancing, they also have to play the music with their instruments. Or imagine the same setup on any scene from West Side Story. Its just amazing. Add to that the energy of the performers, their involvement of the crowd, and you will have a definite unique experience. Please visit their website for information and schedules. I highly recommend it. And if you go, get a seat close to the exit and be the first out, so you don't miss out on the 'impromtu' performance at the main exit door.

Broward Center for the Performing Arts

This is where I saw BLAST yesterday! This building, located in the center of downtown Fort Lauderdale, next to the river, the shops and restaurants of the renovated River Walk, is absolutely beautiful and a definite treat. If in town, go to dinner to any of the intracoastal waterway restaurants, call the water taxi, and arrive in style to the center. I am proud to live here and support this place. And I remembered last night, that I want to volunteer a few of my nights at this place.

Christmas Lights!

So yesterday I put up my Christmas lights. And this morning I woke up to see the bad job I had done, as some of them had already fell down. This year I went with all BLUE lights. There are some things missing in my life; little joy, little hope, no red lights, no greens. So they are blue.

And they are my Christmas lights because I believe in Christ; and because they are mine. I think we have it backwards. We should not have to try to be politically correct when it comes to the use of our language for this 'personal-religious' holiday. I should not have to say "Happy Holidays" or "Holiday Lights". In doing that, I am not being true to myself, as I try to please others just with words. I am puertorrican; I do not try to speak with another accent or language when I talk to others. Saying "Merry Christmas" speaks as to who I am, my culture and my believes. So even when I respect others use of these words, If someone wishes me a Happy Hanukkah or Happy Kwanza, it will be much more welcome, as they are sharing with me who they are.

Diary of a Mad Black Woman

Being friends is about sharing new, and or good things with others, and in the process create a nurturing sense in our constant growth and maturity. A good friend suggested the movie, Diary of a Mad Black Woman, by Tyler Perry. Besides being a very funny movie, it also showcases moral and human dilemmas, the joy and pain of love, the black experience, and the religious topic. To quote my friend "It has so many emotions tied up in it. It is funny, sad, and angry, etc."

What is best about her suggestion, is the chance to know who Mr Perry is. A black gospel playwright, who at one time was homeless, but in the end accomplished his dream. And now spreads his word, knowledge, and entertainment to the rest of us.

7 Comments:

Blogger L>T said...

Caught you on...oh gosh, Can't remember whos blog. Anyway, The blast thing sounds great. I'll check it out.

11:45 PM  
Blogger Sweetmiss said...

Okay, that sounds soooo much better than the show I had to sit through on Saturday night. I got to go see Neil Zaza. Which would not have been so bad if the guy wasn't totally fool of himself and thought he was all that. I just could not take him seriously and I found myself wishing I was watching Manheim Steamroller instead.

The only good thing about that show was that Iwas able to completely zone out and think abuot whatever I wanted for two hours. very nice.

Sweet

2:33 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

Diary of a Mad BLack Woman was so funny...I loved that movie!!!

We stayed a week in Ft Lauderdale....about 2 years ago....We drove down to Halloway Beach I believe it is....Very interesting....and of course walked the strip!!!

Have a great day!!!

10:58 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Well, all I can say, is I hope you have a blast!!!

4:01 PM  
Blogger Cheri said...

Okay T!! I expect to hear that you put some red and green lights up as well to represent the joy and happiness that 2006 is going to hold for you!

So, Happy Hanukkah! And as an fyi..blue represents "serenity" so I'd like to think THAT's why you picked the blue lights!!

Merry Christmas Tony!
zzzzzzSweet Dreams! Cheri

12:50 AM  
Blogger sasha said...

Tony - I have met Tyler Perry. I used to be a promoter, working on gospel stageplays and concerts. Email me if you want to know more about him. he is a very STRANGE person, obsessed with cleanliness.

11:27 AM  
Blogger TMelendez said...

S...

Whats up with you and strange, obsessed black entertainers?

T

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home