Friday, December 23, 2005

Where has Chivalry Gone (Part Deux)

On my first post on Chivalry, the ideas were so many that I just ended focusing on the historical part of how "gentlemen" became to be, and the values and/or principles that distinguished them. It is time now to reflect on Chivalry on the 21st century...

I mentioned on that blog that I am old school, and carry a handkerchief; probably my symbol or flag that identifies me as a 'gentleman'. Keeping Chivalry alive. And what are the characteristics that I have that may classify me as one?, you may ask. Let us see.

First of all, I am conscious of some old abstract virtues that make me who I am (click on virtues to see list). With those in mind, allow me to list things that I do in my daily life which I consider to be genrlemanlike, and have been complimented on;

1- I open doors, for anyone and everyone
2- If I take you to lunch, dinner, etc, I offer to pay.
3- I listen to what people say and make sure I learn a thing or two about them.
4- I dress nicely when on dates, or meeting new people.
5- I say thank you and please.
6- I'll give you my coat if you are cold
7- I'll use a "how are you?" when meeting new people, and mean it.
8- I'll use Madame and Sir when dealing with strangers.
9- Always say Good Morning, Good afternoon, hello to anyone you speak to.
10- I will hold the umbrella and be on the outside of it.
11- I will pull out chair for my dates.
12- I will order for them once I know their entree selection.
13- Will order an appetizer/drink if I know its absolutely good, to introduce a friend to it.
14- Will offer my clean/unused hanky for anything needed.
15- Will call my dates after a few days to say hello regardless of interest.
16- Offer the window when traveling on a plane.
17- Try not to walk in front of the girl.
18- Offer positive comments on specific aesthetic issues (a new haircut; pretty dress).
19- Wont mention anything that I might noticed could be out of place.
20- When in doubt, I always ask.
21- Never kiss and tell; and much less make other stories.
22- I honor woman; they could be my mom, sister, wife.
23- I make sure the lid is always down and the sheets clean.
24- Ensure the towel is warm and I do the clean-up.
25- Never, ever give the perception of impropriety when it comes to friends' girlfriends.
26- Do not talk bad about your friends specially girls you just broke up with.
27- Only argue to find the truth; not to spite others.
28- Never raised your voice to a woman.
29- Do not burp, pass gas, or yawn loudly in front of a woman.
30- Respect thyself; respect others.

And I am certain there are others that I do not remember right now. But the most important thing about these is that they should come naturally to a man; they should not be forced in order to impress anyone. If I were to do that, I will miss on all the joy that is to be the best man I can be. And also, I might have failed at doing any one of these at any given time. Just like Michael Jordan missed shots and took bad shots. But still, he is/was Michael Jordan.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Blog Tony! I work and breath in a space where Chivalry is not always present. So
I welcome other men to act upon your value of Chivalry as a whole that has been lost and hopefully not forgotten.
~Anonymous

9:57 PM  
Blogger TMelendez said...

Thank yo anonymous!

Glad to hear there are some 'troops' out there.

Please feel free to add anything that I might have left behind in your comments.

12:19 AM  
Blogger Cheri said...

While I believe in equal pay for equal jobs etc. etc. I do still love a man who has virtue and treats me like a lady!

I adore the value of Chivalry in a man, and if it comes naturally, then it demonstrates that he is a true gentleman through and through. Of course, I've also found these men are usually amazing in bed,

Is that true T-? lol

12:21 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

Woow...I'm surprised some woman hasn't zapped you up!!!...LOL

I agree with Cheri....Very amazing in bed!!!

Have a great day!!!

12:48 AM  
Blogger Desireous said...

Want to get married? :-)

Very nice! I loved the list. You certainly are a dying breed! I liked the one where you shouldn't walk in front of a girl. That is my biggest beef with men. They often do it simply because they walk faster. It makes me feel small and insignificant.

Well I'm very impressed!
Feliz Navidad!
Hugs
Des

4:08 PM  
Blogger TMelendez said...

C~
# 31..Don't brag nor boast about your prowess.

L~
Everyone that knows me asks the same.. I still dont have an answer.

D~
You are so right.. I still have to be conscious on that one.. I had to learn with my mom... she was short.. and thus very slow.

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home