Monday, January 02, 2006

Ringing in 2006

...And a good time was had by all....

Yes.. this is a little part of my kitchen, and those are the 4 bottles of champagne and a bottle of wine consumed here on New Year's Eve by 5 people. Not pictured, 4 beers and half of another wine bottle. We all enjoyed our time.

But, as I was falling asleep, I started thinking of the many number of people who might go to sleep crying on a night like this. For whatever reasons there might be. I confess, I have been one of them.

I do not think it matters what our believes are, or our personality make up; New Years is
definitely a 'landmark' that makes us stop to sort of reflect in the direction of our lives. Where we are going, and where we have been. It is the ultimate placebo. it does not matter how bad the situation is, we all for one night wish, hope, and feel things will get better.

But among the hopeful, the cheery and the inebriated, are those that, for whatever reasons, go to bed crying. It might have been an argument with a loved one, the memory of a lost one, the bitter-sting of loneliness, the unresolved regret of hurting someone, etc. It makes me wonder; do we drink to celebrate, to multiply an unknown euphoria, or do we drink to forget and mask those sad moments? Besides honestly looking forward, and being hopeful, are we celebrating or trying to forget reality? Are we hiding into a temporary fantasy? Have you gone to bed crying on New Years Eve?

Care to share?

6 Comments:

Blogger Lori said...

I think we drank to forget...have fun...let loose...put all the things on the back burner just for alittle while.....This coming from someone who doesn't drank....SHIT....I need a drank....LOL

Have a great day!!!

10:54 PM  
Blogger Korey said...

I drank to chill out. It was as simple as that. I'll celebrate a bit more when I have my Masters in May. Yep, I'm all about the big picture.

1:51 AM  
Blogger Sweetmiss said...

The New Year's Eve I went to bed crying was Dec. 31st 2001. I had left my exh on the 17th and I stayed up late with dd to watch the ball fall on TV.

After I tucked dd into bed I crawled into my own and curled up in a little ball with my teddybear from when I was younger(his name is frankinscence and yes I still have him).

That night I cried for the three wasted years I spent with my ex, I cried for the fact that dd was never his top priority, I cried that he and I did so many painful things to one another.

By me taking that time to cry I was able to realize that going back to him would have been an exercise in futility and from that night on I was able to move forward.

Damn, making me think about sad things.

Sweet

4:17 PM  
Blogger TMelendez said...

Gee Sweet...

And you are the only one not to mention drinking....

..Thanks for sharing that moment..

I for one cried the year my mom got diagnosed with cancer, and then again the year she passed away... I dont know.. there might have been others.. but those are the only two I remember.

T

4:50 PM  
Blogger sasha said...

I almost went to bed crying new year's eve. Dan and I had a big fight over his use of the word "ni&&er" while watching the Giants' football game Saturday night. (He called my beloved Tiki the N word!)

So ten minutes before midnight I went to bed and at the stroke of midnight I started to cry because I was there all alone while he was downstairs (also all alone) watching TV. He started to call my name and I wend downstairs. We kissed and made up, and shared a glass of champagne.

There I was, drinking a glass of champagne on NYE in my pajamas. Classic!

We then proceeded to screw our brains out in various places all over the house.

10:03 AM  
Blogger TMelendez said...

Ahh..

Angry love making...!! Necessary evil?

T

1:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home