Wednesday, February 08, 2006

"I have a dream"

Wow, it is only Wednesday, and I think I have already worked my 40 hours for the week! Well, let me push myself to note an important event that took place this week.

On August 28th, 1963, the Reverend Martin Luther King jr. delivered his famous "I have a Dream" speech, across from the "Reflecting Pool" in Washington D.C. To me, this is probably the most influential, and best speech delivered by anyone in this nation, and maybe the world. Not only from the ideas it contained, but from the way it was written and delivered.

Many of us remember some of the lines included within the "I Have a Dream" rhetoric. Mainly;

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

But many of us do not remember some of the other great 'soundbites' or pathos from the speech;

"In a sense we've come to our nation's capital to cash a check. When the architects of our republic wrote the magnificent words of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, they were signing a promissory note to which every American was to fall heir. This note was a promise that all men - yes, black men as well as white men - would be guaranteed the unalienable rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. It is obvious today that America has defaulted on this promissory note insofar as her citizens of color are concerned."

This week, the nation paid their respect to the late Coretta Scott King in a beautiful ceremony in Atlanta, Georgia; city that once banned Ray Charles from performing there. The widow of the civil liberties movement leader, in her own 'passive' way kept 'the dream alive'. I am happy to report that 40 years later, America is fulfilling that 'promisory note'. Not completely; but definitely, this week the nation 'judged' Coretta Scott King based solely on the content of her character, and not the color of her skin.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lori said...

Dr King and Mrs King.....both was great people....and had a wonderful dream.....They've made alot of difference!!!

Have a great day!!!

2:27 AM  
Blogger Fred said...

Too bad the funeral turned into a political fiasco.

7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home