Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Movie lines!

"Anger and resentment can stop you in your tracks. It needs nothing to burn but the air and the life it swallows and smothers. Its real though, the fury. Even when it isnt it can change you, turn you, mold you and shape you into someone you're not.

The only upside to anger is the person you become. Hopefully someone that wakes up one day and realizes they're not afraid of it's journey. Someone that knows that the truth at it's best is a partially told story; that anger like growth comes in spurts and fits, and in it's wake leaves a new chance of acceptance and the promise of calm." ~The Upside of Anger

I recently went back to school! Blockbuster College that is! I have recently rented and two movies that, in my opinion are entertaining and also very educational from a personal and social perspective! The Upside of Anger and Oscar winning Best Movie CRASH. Go ahead and click on the them and watch the trailers.

There is something to say about going to a movie theatre, or rent a DVD, and not only be taken away from this world for two hours, but also become better persons in the process. It reminds me of the summer of 1998! What a great year that was, and what a great summer! That was the year that Mark McGuire and Sammy Sosa gave us a thrilling baseball season with their 150 homers between the two, breaking a record that lasted for 37 years. Too bad they were on steroids, but I did not know that back then. So forgive me for that disturbing digression. Hollywood gave us back then Good Will Hunting and As Good As it Gets; and the Best Movie for that year, Titanic! I still watch the first two whenever I catch them on my cable channels, and I still get something out of them each time. With these movies titles, the baseball digression was more like a metaphor to life imitating arts and vice-versa.

It is interesting to me how my male friends go around reciting lines to Caddyshack or Animal House. And if not, they will know lines from Scarface or Goodfellas Women don't do this much! Remember in You've got Mail Meg Ryan asking Tom Hanks what was it with men always quoting the Godfather? My cousin (who also doubles up as one of my best friends) and I favor sports and/or funny movies. We sometimes challenge each other with 'movie quotes'. He wins most of the time. I am sure most of you know a person or two who can do this.

However, most of those quotes have no social value, or worst yet no educational one. Yet, there are so many lines in movies out there that if we commited them to memory we could probably become a much better society. This is why these writers get paid big bucks! They have something to say. One of the lines that changed my life was from the movie Purple Rain. In a scene, the father and the mother have just finished arguing, and the father letting a tear down says, "if she only knew that I love her so much that I will die for her". WHOA!! That is it!! I would die for those I love. Think about it! NO dying.. maybe you should re-think what you call love.

The line that I just quoted at the beginning of the post from The Upside of Anger left a huge impression on me the moment I heard it. So much so, that two days later I received an email from a female colleague entitled "My Mantra" in which she posted the quote! I started laughing and replied back with the next line in the movie. It came in a moment where we had been 'crashing' onto some of our other co-workers and things at work. It was great to feel that someone else wanted to adopt this 'philosophy' in their lives. It was sort of a human touch moment that hopefully will stay in my mental screen forever. One of those that we do not have often, but which hopefully will make us better persons.

"In any real city, you walk, you know, you brush past people. People bump into you. In L.A., nobody touches you. We're always behind this metal and glass. I think we miss that touch so much, we crash into each other just so we can feel something." ~Crash

4 Comments:

Blogger Lori said...

You know that's funny you bring that up because....My If only you had one day left.. what would you do post....was from the movie If Only....A great movie....I loved it....and it really makes you stop and think.

Wooow you really like alot of good movies.....that most men would snub their nose at....I liked Upside of Anger.....I was surprised where they found the hubby!!!

Have a great day!!!

2:55 PM  
Blogger TMelendez said...

Lori..
I LOVE YOUR NEW AVATAR!!!

T

5:19 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

Ohhhh Thanks T!!!

I have a thing for hats!!!

1:01 AM  
Blogger Hale McKay said...

You have a wide range of movie likes, T. That is good. Much wider than mine.
I have Titanic on VHS. I never watch the first tape anymore. It ends just as it strikes the iceberg. All the good stuff is in the second tape. The SET and f/x were the only real stars of that movie. I remember one critic said it was a good movie, but if you removed every scene with Leonardo DiCaprio, it would be a GREAT movie. I loved the it as i am not a fan of "DiCrapio."

12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home