Thursday, April 27, 2006

3M (Most Memorable Moments) #1

TWO FOR THURSDAY
Two posts for the price of one visit
I have a challenge pending. It was set down by Lori and it was regarding my most memorable moments. As she well stated, what she did was harder than what she thought. Since she laid it on the line for me, not only I have been thinking about my end of the deal, but I have also kept notes, cheat sheets, I have been close to go and buy a small recorder and take notes like Doctors do, but I finally decided that evertytime I remember a most memorable moment, rather than being amused on my own, I will include you.

See, I have to be careful with those moments since many include work, and others include people whose names or situations I might not want to use. However, this morning I was reminded of one of those moments that I will never forget. And while I drink my BV Private Cellars 2002 Coastal Merlot, I will share it with you. Not that I am a big drinker (why does the penguin comes to mind) but ever since Hurricane Wilma I have obtained this habit. Well, they say a glass of wine a day keeps the Doctor away .. right..? I figure 3 bottles a week will keep a man safe of any leaks... Remember, Frost I am not!

My friend Gina stopped by my office today. Gina is beautiful. Rumor has it she was selected Ms Fort Worth, TX some years back! However, yesterday when this 37 yrs old woman was standing at my entrance for a second I thought all my years of making wishes have finally paid off!! Gina is on her second marriage with two beautiful girls. She first got married on November 1995. I officially met her a month prior to that. Not only did I think she was beautiful but we got along very well. The funny thing about that is that the first time I saw her, exactly 2 years prior to that, I completely dissed her. I told my friend as we walked in a bar and he pointed her out, 'what a bimbo'! Later on I would tell Gina the story and exactly what she was wearing that night at the bar. I also told her yesterday I would blog this story. Typical to our relationship, she quickly smile and surprised me with the question "so you are a blogger?". Many of my friends do not have the concept of the blog.

When we parted ways in October, we exchanged phones. "I will call you and you can come and play tennis with my husband and I" she said. I drew an assignment that December that by coincidence had me working with Gina. On Dec 2nd we were going to be together on the first day of that assignment. By then, I had heard the rumor, once or twice, that her husband had walked out on her two weeks after the marriage. As I saw her, I gave her a nice hug and a kiss, said hello, and I whispered in her ear that if she needed anything that I would be there for her. She tightened her grip on our hug, and I heard a sob. I held her for a while snuggly and ever so gently, enough to provide the comfort, but trying not to make it too sad of a moment for her. Immediately I became her confidant, her 'detective' partner, her best friend. Since we worked out of town, and she was spending a lot of times at her parents in Texas, (we live in Florida) our phone bills that month were over $300.00 for each one of us. Cells were not the in- thing then.

Gina's Dad had immediately started proceedings for Gina's divorce, trying to make sure that the guy didn't get a dime of the house. The substantial down payment was done with Gina's money from bonds her dad had been keeping for her since she was a little girl. I believe the amount was $20,000. Ernie, her dad, had a retired gig as an arbitrator; yeah, one of those guys you go to when you are getting divorce and you are trying to divide assets. So he definitely knew what needed to be done, and did not want any wrinkles on a simple case of a husband abandoning a home.

On Dec 23rd, the night before I was going on an out of town business trip to no other much more fun place than Cleveland, Ohio, I left Gina's house past 3am. This time it was different. Gina and I hooked up that night; right there, on the carpet on the living room. The moment left a rug burn on the small of her back that lasted more than I did. I drove home like a drunk man; wondering what the heck had just happened. This went on for the next couple of weeks.

Early in January, I happened to be getting off a plane at the Dallas airport. A small, thin man in his early 70's stopped me as I was coming out of the gate; "Are you Tony?" the man asked. "yes", I replied. "I am Gina's dad, Ernie. Do you have sometime? Would you care for breakfast?". I was definitely startled by all this. I am a very intuitive type of guy, and very analitical, so it did not take much time for me to figure out the reason for this encounter. As we had breakfast, Ernie questioned me on the emotional state of her daughter, ask me whatever I knew of the reason why the husband walked out (another woman), and not too much time had passed when he said that he could not let anyhing stupid ruined the divorce proceeding, and asked "Are you having sex with my daughter?".

History then recorded the following; the first puertorrican raper and rap hit('95) entitled "I, I, aayy aayy", and
the first sighting of Foghorn, a real cartoon turned man, at the Dallas Airport; "I said, I said, I said, boy, I said Im not a chicken". Hellooooooo... I was a 31 year old man... and I was being asked for the first time in my life, by a dad, if I have had sex with her daughter. Life does not prepare you for this. Believe it or not, that was the last time I had Eggs Benedict. I would have prefered confession with the pope.

So you are probably wondering what did I say? "Your daughter and I have become real close friends, and while I have grown fond of her, you can rest assured none of that is happening". You know what? His face said 'I dont believe you'!! If I would have been playing Texas Hold'em, it would have been the equivalent of me trying to bluff Chris Moneymaker with a 2 and a 3. Here is your first lesson to discover who is lying, when the answer requires either yes or no, guess what the answer should be? Yes or no. There are no long explanations; these are just window dressing and time buying. You did not have to hear my words, my face pretty much told the story. And I learned at that moment that with the incongruency of my actions I had disrespected myself.

That Melendez Most Memorable Moment was brought to you BV Vineyards.

BUT, while I think of others, here is something else I learned from Lori and I would like you to do; You see, the lead content in the water here in Florida is high. So Alzheimer's is already setting in. In your comments, I would like you te remind me of that moment you and I shared together!!!

8 Comments:

Blogger erika said...

Ohhh I even started sweating when you her Dad wanted to talk to you!

11:15 AM  
Blogger TMelendez said...

Erika,,, you didnt create a moment!!

And Im surprised there no comments regarding drinking wine and how all of the sudden I was reminded of the penguin.

T

1:58 PM  
Blogger Southern Sweetheart said...

um... memorable moments huh? I got one for ya -- how about my dad coming home during the middle of the day when I was in high school and finding me in bed with my boyfriend? yeah. memorable alright.

8:22 PM  
Blogger TMelendez said...

you little perv... in your parents house??, in high school??.. give me back that drink >:-D

And u too fail to create a moment.

T

10:33 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

I am not a drinker, but you I really like the lights and furniture of your first picture.

Very art deco!

10:04 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

Great post T.....That was no doubt a memorable moment!!!

You remember when we went sky diving....and you got scared....and I had to hold your hand!!!....LOL

Have a great day!!!

2:08 AM  
Blogger TMelendez said...

There u go Lori... show them how to do it...! where were you when I needed you Friday! :-)
T

1:14 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

I was at the nude beach....LOL

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home