Saturday, April 15, 2006

Vegas Vacation!!!

So I am back from a great Vegas vacation (did you missssss meeeee?); and Clark Griswald I am not (although I did the Damn Dam tour).

I love Las Vegas! This time around I spent more nights (4) than I had before. The weather was great, and the place was packed. I have not gotten it completely right yet, but everytime I do something new and exciting. By the way, featuring on this post are my own pictures, taken with my TREO650, except the graphics for Cirque du Soleil.

I was planning to take sometime off in March like I usually do every year, however, my very close cousin had planned a vacation with his family and asked me to join them. It would damper my single man in Vegas status, but why not? The first point of business was to reserve a room. They would be staying at the MGM Grand, and as I started doing reserach I found some of the upscale hotels (Bellagio and Venetian) affordable. But it was about being with my cousin his wife and kids (one of them my godchild); so I ended up at the MGM.

In previous visits, I stayed at the New York New York (pictured above, left) and at The Aladdin (view from my room at that time, above right). While very pleased with any of these hotels, I was a little more pleased with the MGM (sorry my MGM pic is not as good as the emerald color that adorns the exterior). There are plenty of restaurants, an easy to reach food court, and their standard rooms are of good size and very clean. Also, it features a little bit less confusing lobby to navigate. The only bad draw is the walk to the center of the strip. And with it, the best show in Vegas, which is free. And that is The Fountains at The Bellagio. I do not seem to get enough of them.

On this vacation I got either blessed or lucky. My friend Reagan was in town, and she had offered to hook me up with some tickets. I did not set my hopes high, but she came thru and in what fashion. Reagan is just a very beautiful girl who chose to deliver me the tickets at the entrance of the MGM in a classic black Rolls Royce, with what I believe it was red velvet interiors, and a chauffer holding her door. "Can anyone please take a picture and send it to me" - I thought. She got my tickets for the Celine Dion, A New Day show, and for Cirque du Soleil's "KÁ". I always wanted to see Cirque du Soleil's "O", so I ended up buying tickets for that. In three nights I ended up scoring what could be the 3 hottest shows in Vegas right now. And they did not disappoint. While not being a Celine fan, this show if probably the best I have seen. Like with Lion King, it did not take me more than 10 minutes into the show to know I was watching something great!

The strip was full this week. As I departed the hotel this morning around 530am, the lobby looked like happy hour at 300pm anywhere else. Sort of a sadness engulfed me of not being able to enjoy this with someone else. Also, while going to the airport I had this awful feeling of not wanting to leave. As the Taxi driver reminded me, "have a safe trip back to reality"! I will fantasize again soon!

9 Comments:

Blogger Fred said...

Glad you had a great time, TM. Terrific post. I go to Vegas twice a year, and am already looking forward to my next visit in September. You and I have stayed in many of the same places. My favorite seems to be The Rio at the moment. They give me the most freebies.

8:37 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

Of course we missed you!!!

How much money did you lose??...LOL

Sounds like you had a great trip!!!

Have a great day!!!

2:16 AM  
Blogger erika said...

Sounds like you had a great time. Makes me want to go now!

3:28 PM  
Blogger Southern Sweetheart said...

I love love love love love love Vegas!!! Did I mention that I love Vegas? There's so much to do and see there -- even without gambling there's sooooo much to do. I agree on the whole Bellagio fountain thing - they are beautiful to watch. Everytime I've ever been I've wanted to go up in the Eiffel tower and watch the fountains from there, but I've refrained in hopes that someday I'll get to do that with someone special. sounds like you had a great time --- and like Erika up there - I want to go now! I haven't been in a couple of years and I soooo miss it.

11:21 PM  
Blogger Southern Sweetheart said...

OH!! And "O" was fantastic!!!!! One of THE best shows I've ever seen. I'd pay to see it over and over again. (Just like I would pay to see the Circe de Soleil show in Orlando again although it wasn't as good as "O" - called La Numbe or something like that --- and I'd pay to see Wicked again on broadway. Phenomenal too!)

11:23 PM  
Blogger TMelendez said...

Fred..
Youre VAC from VAC!!

Lori..
Not enough to have to change my avatar..

Erika/SS..
What about if we all start planning our first BLOGGERS convention in Vegas.. we all go for a weekend.. meet each other hang out.. etc..etc..

T

2:22 PM  
Blogger Hale McKay said...

Going to Vegas seems to be the in-thing lately. "Stringman" has been there twice in the last two months.
...Glad you enjoyed yourself.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Cheri said...

OHHHH!!! I missed you so! Hey T, you missed your calling...you should be a travel brochure editor or city reviewer.

So where did Regan find this man? Can you ask her if he has a brother?? lol

10:47 PM  
Blogger TMelendez said...

lol Cheri..
Actually i thought about opening a blog on everything travel.. cities.. hotels.. how to get there what to see... how to do your research..

Now, it doesn matter where Reagan got her man.. or whether or not he has a brother.. what matters is that at the end .. she takes care for the one who cares for her as a person...

9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home