Sunday, May 28, 2006

The art of writing


How quickly can a week go by. That is 7 days,or 168 hours, or in 'RENT' terms, 10080 minutes. And within all that time, I did not have a moment to sit down and post. I could not fathom the idea of writing a book. I am not completely sure whether it was time, because I do not remember any moment during that time when I thought, "hum, let me write about that". How do writers do it?

But in all honesty, I have been thinking about making myself sit down and writing a book. It does not have to be published. It would be for me, and anyone related to me, or acquainted, who will make me want to feel good by reading it. This notion is not new. As a junior in college one of our professors made us write down our long term goals; 5 years, 10 years, 20 years. I do not remember what the first two goals were; I bet they dealt with work, and I am pretty sure I somehow forgot about them. But the last goal was about writing a book. That was 21 years ago.

So throughout all these years I have always thought about a story to tell. How do you start? What do you write about? And why? Just to entertain? To entice? To tease? To teach? Involving the crowd into your story, taking them to another place, making them laugh or cry is part of the essence of writing. And what genre will I choose? I am not a horror or mys(t)ery 'KING'. While I am a romantic, I am not sappy enough to write a love story. And worst yet, while I have a good sense of humor, I would not be able to write comedy. Therefore, at the end it would have to be a book about the things related to my career, which I would love to do, and/or some sort of non-fiction based on things that have happened in my life. Sort of ala James Frey, but without the lies.

Many close friends have laughed and wandered at some of the things that have happened in my life. They say they are things that only happen in movies. I definitely agree with plenty of those assessments. I will soon sit down and consider starting that book.

In the meantime, these thoughts have made me very curious. I read so many things from so many of you. If you are reading this post, I would like to know, if you were to write a book, what would you write about?

12 Comments:

Blogger Southern Sweetheart said...

I'd write an autobiography in hopes that someone would learn something from the pitfalls I've made.....that they would avoid the landmines and heartaches.

And my 2nd choice would be to right poetry....I get a lot from writing poetry and anytime I post it on my site I get comments that make me smile.... I enjoy knowing that someone enjoys reading it.

12:05 AM  
Blogger Southern Sweetheart said...

meant to say to "write poetry" not "right poetry"....sheez - maybe I should go to bed.

12:06 AM  
Blogger TMelendez said...

I hear you and I agree about your poetry. I hope that the comments that I have 'rightten' have made you smile! :-)

12:41 AM  
Blogger Southern Sweetheart said...

haha! They have! :) Thanks Tony.

1:17 AM  
Blogger Fred said...

In a sense, my blog is a book. Like you, I'm not after the publishing deal, just the memories.

So - it's all about me, the family, and whatever else pops up in my random universe.

4:08 PM  
Blogger erika said...

Thats a tough question. I don't think I am much of a writer. I always like a good comedy so I guess I would write like that.

9:36 AM  
Blogger TMelendez said...

Fred; You have a random universe? Nah

Penguin girl.. your biography might be comedy!

9:15 PM  
Blogger erika said...

LOL I think you may be right!

10:03 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

This is why I am a firm believer that life truely is stranger than fiction.

Imagine what I see everyday at my job...I could not make this stuff up.

Have a good day.

5:16 PM  
Blogger TMelendez said...

loll Barbara..
I know that is TRUE!! I bet a lot of time sorry.. but true!

11:28 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

I guess everybody gets what they call writer's block...

I've read on a few blogs where they have done the... write a book in 30 days thing.....

What would I write about....One thing would be poetry ....another one erotica....and then some kind of ficton!!!

Have a great day!!!

3:26 PM  
Blogger Cheri said...

I would definitely write an autobiography...but with my split personalities, I don't know which life I would write about.

My "real life" or my underground life. And I agree, my blog is a book in a way..like a journal.

Bet you would have some interesting things to write about.

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home