Saturday, June 10, 2006

Can you hear that....?



is Knocking !!!


OK, Blogger is going to give me an ulcer. This is the fourth time writing this post. And I was not able to upload my graphics. This has been going on for a week. Anyway..

I was driving home on Wednesday evening, radio tuned to a station that pretty much covers what my age of 40 speaks of; 80's music. The other stations I listened to? Classic Rock, Country, Jazz. And yes, in the mornings, Talk Radio. You know you are getting old when... !

At 7pm, a radio show hosted by a woman named Delilah comes on. Delilah takes request, listens to stories, offers advice, and you pretty much can catalog her as inspirational. I listen to this show because it helps me unwind after work. And, I am not trying to be insensitive, just as long as I do not listen to the sad personal stories. SORRY! At that time of a long day, I would be more insensitive if I do not take care of myself. I also like that they play soft music. I will be 80 years old and I will still accompany the Bee Gees singing falsetto in "How Deep is Your Love".

That evening, Delilah talked about stress at work, long days, etc, and asked, what was your definition of success during a day? She said for her it was making sure she took care of opportunities. She then asked to think about what opportunities presented themselves during the day that you took advantage of, or simply let go. Was it being nice to someone, touching someone, talking to a stranger, tell someone you love them, or say I am sorry, etc, etc.

I started to examine my day, mind you Socrates said that 'the unexamined life is not worth living'. At first, I was scared that I probably had many opportunities during the day and let them go. Soon I discovered that there was one opportunity I took advantage of. I think I made a new friend!!! At our age, making new friends does not come easy. We get so protective! So involved in our adult activities. Remember being a little kid and meeting a new playmate? How exciting!

The other day Erika posted in her blog the question about whether man and woman can be really friends. I answered by saying, "YES! And its beautiful!". This new friend is female. And as beautiful as she is, her personality doubles her physical part!! While at the moment I was not thinking about it as an opportunity, I asked this person if she wanted to go with me to grab something to eat. It had been a 4 conference calls-day, back to back to...etc., and I was hungry. She took the chance of accompanying this stranger.

We laughed, we talked, we joked, we teased.. we sang.... ( humm, she didn't), and for a moment I forgot about the rest of the world. For me, it was just us and nothing else mattered. I was looking for my bag of toys to throw ourselves on the floor and play!! My tonka trucks, my green little soldiers. Well, I guess nowadays I own a different set of toys, "AHEM", but hopefully you catch my drift! So it was plain fun! I repeat, as beautiful as she is, I was more enchanted by her ways than anything else. Her spontaneous, big-heartily laugh. And that is sooo refreshing! If I'd started thinking sex as the ultimate goal, I would have not enjoy myself in the moment. Which is what happens to a man most of the time. Actually, it is my theory that dates are sabotaged by the participants because rather than enjoying the moment, their minds are already in what could happen in the future, making judgments, analyzing. Just LET IT GO! Be yourself and enjoy the moment!

Hopefully, this opportunity will provide me with a new friend to enjoy, to be nice to, to help out, to listen to, to laugh with, etc, etc. Its sort of like discovering a new bar, a new restaurant, a new food; but much better. And to think, if I would have not taken the little opportunities that presented themselves, none of all of this would have happen. Including this post.

Share with me, what opportunities did you let go off today? Which one did you take advantage of?

21 Comments:

Blogger L>T said...

Hi! i just wanted to let you know i enjoyed your comment on barbara's blog.
All that moralizing was getting on my nerves.
Thanks!

6:06 PM  
Blogger Leigh said...

Thanks for this post. It really made me think about things in a different way. I hope you are having a great weekend.

12:53 AM  
Blogger kate said...

I have recently had a similar experience with the men/women being friends gig... as long as you are not married it may work out...( I blogged the topic a couple of weeks ago...according to my commentors though, it wont work).

I would also go out on a limb and say that while you didnt start thinking of jumping her bones there, you did most likely go there mentally at another time(as did she most likely)... it is just human nature. That alone does not mean you cant be friends, it just means that there is another level to the relationship.

I really miss having male friends! I found that I can do it... have thoughts, even express that I do but not act on them. I think there are some people who can and some who cant. I also think that once you are married, your spouse is 'supposed' to be the only friend of opposit sex you need. Its not necessarily true, but that is what society dictates at least.

Opportunities...hummm I chose to brush a big giant whopper of a problem under the rug to take the opportunity to connect with my spouse yesterday... It will come back to bite me in the arse, but it was what I needed to do to survive the day... does that count? lol

Ohhhhhh shoot this sounds sooooo negative... sorry I really am not a glass half empty gal either...

8:15 AM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

See, you are garnishing a following!! I love it.

The day has just began (I woke up at 5am). I went for my usual walk, and so far, the day is going well, exactly as it is supposed to be for this moment, 8:35 am., on a Sunday morning.

Have a good Sunday!

11:38 AM  
Blogger TMelendez said...

l>t ..THANKS for your nice comments! No need to mess up your nerves.. there are roses, and tulips, and everything else in the garden. It all looks more beautiful that way! And it makes it ...a garden!

Leigh THANKS..! That was a siimple thought wasn't; what little opportunities did we have today?

HI Kate!! I HONESTLY wish I could tell you I did.. but I didnt! Maybe there is a mechanism inside of me that is scared of that. I wont lie; when I first saw her, without saying a word, I thought she was WOW! But you need to understand my line of work to know that a pretty face for me is just that.. until I see whats behind! IS not always like that when I meet someone, but I dont have time to waste anymore.

I have had great sex in my life!! Better relationships is what I need! Was I like that 5 , 10 years ago.. ha ha.. NO WAY!!!

ABout the rug.. Im VERY DOWN with under the rug sweeping lately. You wouldnt find a sympatethic ear from me at this time.

THANK YOU ALL FOR STOPPING BY! Did Barbara forget to send her check?? Fred is back... hum..

Barbara.. thank you for reminding me I missed the opportunity to go for a run this morning!!! I love Sundays!

12:39 PM  
Blogger TMelendez said...

On second thought.. maybe it was the Tim McGRaw Video that made you all stop by, rather than the Eminem video.

Maybe I should just stick with using Eminem in My Space only.
T

12:47 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

You're so right about making new friends. I got lucky in that department when I changed careers and became a teacher. Suddenly, I had 4-5 new friends. We went to Europe last year, and we're going again next year.

So, I guess that would be the opportunity I seized. And, I'm glad I did.

1:36 PM  
Blogger TMelendez said...

Fred... Im so jealous..!! Not to mention all those kids that bring something to your life!!!!

By the way, take the opporunity to go and buy and umbrella cuz Im forecating lots of RAIN for you area the next few days.

T

1:49 PM  
Blogger Awareness said...

Hi there.

Thanks for visiting my little blog den of thoughts. I read your piece on being labelled passionate. Loved it!

Can men and women play platonically? Some of my best friends are men. Some of my husbands best friends are women. Most of these people in our lives were friends before our marriage, so friendships were established already. From time to time it does cause a wrinkle in the marriage fabric, but I think one needs to establish boundaries etc and it can work out. ......just don't show too too much passion??!! It's a difficult thing to do when it oozes out of ones pores!! :o)

8:32 PM  
Blogger TMelendez said...

Awareness; "My little Den of Thoughts".. I like that!
Yep.. I learned something from that piece today!! It can be overbearing sometimes so I have to keep it in check! I have already been labeled "too intense"!.. why? cuz I care? Gee!

Thanks for stopping by!
T

9:14 PM  
Blogger erika said...

Hey there T!

I am so glad you meet someone new!! It is fun meeting someone new. I did that this weekend too!

Have a great weekend!

10:56 PM  
Blogger TMelendez said...

Hey E!
You did!!? Good deal! Hum ..it sounds yours might be romantic as mine is not.

1:41 AM  
Blogger Fred said...

Three inches already. Yuck.

12:46 PM  
Blogger erika said...

NO romance!! Just lots of laughs and fun.

1:37 PM  
Blogger TMelendez said...

YOUUUUUUUUUU..........?????????
FUN.........?????????????

who would have 'thunk it'.!!
T

2:17 PM  
Blogger erika said...

I know hard to believe!

10:22 AM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Just wanted to mention, T, that I too LOVE Prince!

7:32 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

Can men and women be friends??.....Some of my friends thru the years have been males....only friends!!!

Have a great day!!!

3:40 AM  
Blogger TMelendez said...

Barbara.. you never cease to amaze me.. and like Prince says in the #10 song of his latest CD released in March, you are "beautiful, loved and blessed"

HI LORI!!! Vacation???????

10:36 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

T.....Vacation??....I guess you could call it that....NOT!!!

Anyway why didn't you send out the troops looking for me??....LOL

2:16 AM  
Blogger TMelendez said...

Most of them are busy.. and its not wihtin their scope to go looking for Dorohys and totos, which with you, taking pictures of clouds, was a possibility!!
T

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home