Monday, July 10, 2006

Long Distance Dedication


Do not ask me why? Just don't. Let's leave it like that. But when I was much younger I just love listening to America's Top Forty, especially Casey's long distance dedication. Worst yet, I can still imitate it to a tee.

Recently, while chatting with a friend about a situation she is in, I was reminded of those days listening to the stories over the radio and the songs that follow. And upon her request to place the following song on my blog, I decided, why not?, let's bring to blogland the Long Distance Dedication. The following is a recreation.

Dear Tony;

I have been conflicted lately because I have been wondering whether I should leave all I have, in search of my dreams. I actually have achieved many of the things I wanted as a woman; I have a great career, which I love and am good at, I earn good money, and have all these other things, except for a family. I am afraid that if I stay here I might never find him, and miss my chance on a family.

Dear M;

The magic of music its found on its universality. The lyrics can mean so much to so many. I am not sure if you have heard the song "Drops of Jupiter" from TRAIN, but it might speak to you as everyone needs to go "keep their feet on the ground, while keep shooting for the stars". You need to go on your journey, and when you are done, whether you find what you want or not, you will be changed by that trip. And for you as many others, they should be allowed the opportunity and freedom to find themselves, by those who love them. M, here is you long distance dedication;

(you might have to click twice on the play button; the second time after the promo that comes up at the beginning)






Lyrics
Now that she's back in the atmosphere
With drops of Jupiter in her hair, hey, hey
She acts like summer and walks like rain
Reminds me that there's time to change, hey, hey
Since the return from her stay on the moon
She listens like spring and she talks like June, hey, hey

Tell me did you sail across the sun
Did you make it to the Milky Way to see the lights all faded
And that heaven is overrated

Tell me, did you fall for a shooting star
One without a permanent scar
And did you miss me while you were looking for yourself out there

Now that she's back from that soul vacation
Tracing her way through the constellation, hey, hey
She checks out Mozart while she does tae-bo
Reminds me that there's room to grow, hey, hey

Now that she's back in the atmosphere
I'm afraid that she might think of me as plain ol' Jane
Told a story about a man who is too afraid to fly so he never did land

Tell me did the wind sweep you off your feet
Did you finally get the chance to dance along the light of day
And head back to the Milky Way
And tell me, did Venus blow your mind
Was it everything you wanted to find
And did you miss me while you were looking for yourself out there

Can you imagine no love, pride, deep-fried chicken
Your best friend always sticking up for you
even when I know you're wrong
Can you imagine no first dance, freeze dried romance, five hour phone conversation
The best soy latte that you ever had . . . and me

Tell me, did the wind sweep you off your feet
Did you finally get the chance to dance along the light of day
And head back toward the Milky Way

Tell me did you sail across the sun
Did you make it to the Milky Way to see the lights all faded
And that heaven is overrated

Tell me, did you fall for a shooting star
One without a permanent scar
And did you miss me while you were looking for yourself out there

And did you finally get the chance to dance along the light of day

And did you fall from a shooting star...
Fall from a shooting star...

And are you lonely by yourself out there...


On a personal note, this song has become one of my all time favorites; not only its lyrics, its universality, but also its music. Many times I have "imitated" Patrick Monahan (lead singer) singing these lyrics out loud from my heart. And separate from this dedication, it makes me think, boys, You need to let your women go look for who they are; if not you, have nothing but a pet, and that I hope that on her frequent flights to the atmosphere she realizes the best coffee that she ever had and me.

Also, on a writer's note, this might be a love song, but, I will fail you if I do not tell you that this song was inspired after the author's mom passed of cancer. If you lost a loved one, you wish they come back to you someway, somehow, maybe in a dream. This song was written after one of those nights. Now go and check those lyrics again.

9 Comments:

Blogger Leigh said...

I forgot all about Casey. I used to listen to his show every Saturday. I love your idea. I do love this song as well. It has so many different meanings to so many different people out there. Thanks for sharing.

8:40 PM  
Blogger Awareness said...

That was beautiful! I love that song, and have never read the lyrics before. Whenever i hear the song, it seems to pull me right in......and to know that it was written after the musician lost his mom, allows the words to show their meaning more vividly.

Casey has such a distinctive voice. when I think of his radio show, I always envision driving in the car in the dark..........on a Sunday night. Going home from somewhere, so there's time to take in most of the show. Yeah.........warm, safe and lost in the night drive with Casey and his velvety voice reaching out.

9:29 PM  
Blogger Southern Sweetheart said...

Smiling. Thank you for being such a great friend Tony. I had never listened to the words of this song in the light I listen to them now, thanks to you. I appreciate your friendship and thoughtfulness....and this post. You know why.....

11:48 PM  
Blogger L>T said...

very nice. now lets talk about me.( in reference to your wondering about my personsa l>t.

The avatar was made for me by my blog buddy gyrobo, a talented robot guy. That is how he sees the "Lusty Tart". alias L.tart, alias l>t.

Lusty Tart is a persona I use also in real life.
A made up sorta wacky person I dress up as occasionally, to shock my friends & make them laugh mostly.

4:23 AM  
Blogger Melanie said...

Awwww... I felt as though that dedication was for me! Isn't that how Casey wanted most of his listeners to feel, as if they had all written that letter and that song was especially for each and everyone of them.

I've always loved that song... a favorite!

You took me down memory lane. I remember spending many Saturdays listening to the radio, trying to press the record button on a cheap cassette recorder in order to record my favorite songs off the radio, plastering my walls with pictures cut out of the latest issue of Tiger Beat, and drinking grape Kool-Aid.

9:16 AM  
Blogger Green Eyes said...

Perfect song choice and great advice. I hope that M does shoot for the stars to become who she was meant to be.

Loved Casey too!

9:33 AM  
Blogger erika said...

Its a great song! The lyrics can mean so many things.

I hope M shoots for the stars too!

I loved listening to Casey Saturday mornings!

3:48 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

I was just reminded about Casey on VH1's I Love the 70s. I think they featured him during the year 1971. I listened to him regularly on Y-100 when I lived in Miami - it was hard to miss him.

"Dear Tony." Hmmm, maybe you have a new career on the horizon as an advice columnist?

9:39 AM  
Blogger Jon said...

I just came wandering in from one of your friends blogs.

This is one of my all time favorite songs as well. It means different things to different people but I think it is one of those universally great songs. I know some people got sick of it being on the radio every half hour back when it was hot. I don't listen to the radio much so I never got sick of it in that way.

Parts of this song bring back bad memories because of what was happening in my life when if was first out, but then I met a woman that I quickly fell for that felt the same way about this song. That replaced the negative feelings for what the lyrics were truly intending.

Train is an incredible band. See them in concert if you can. I missed them the last time they were in Denver, but I have seen them three times and loved it every time.

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home