Monday, July 24, 2006

Miss Universe 2006!!

Is MISS Puerto Rico!!!

So I wrote in my post yesterday that I love espontaneous, emotional, human reactions. Take a look at the picture on the left.

While at work this morning, I went into the internet to seek out some information that I needed. When suddenly I was confronted by the news that the newly crowned Miss Universe, was none other than Miss Puerto Rico, Zuleyka (zoo-lay-ka) Rivera!

I Beamed! I quickly started to count; how many does that make? Are we the country with the most Miss Universes? I went to the Official Miss Universe web page to confirm that Puerto Rico has had 5 Miss Universe; second only to the US who has 7.

You see, Puerto Rico is an island of just 35 miles wide by 100 miles of length. I drive to work everyday, one way almost 40 miles. But within those small confines the potential for all people to be anything is just inmense. Puerto Rico is the country with the most boxing champions. And all the other sucesses that we have had should be the topic of another blog.

As I was driving home today, a spanish radio station was fielding calls regarding the pageant last night. Everyone calling in was saying that they were so happy with the selection. That Japan and Paraguay were beautiful; but that the puertorrican woman was a 'doll'. They talked about her beauty, her poise, her smile, her dress, her elegance, and how under all that there was a 'simpleness' to the woman. And that is what beauty means to me.

I was very happy listening to the people talk. I am very happy for her. I know how something like this makes people in the island very happy and united. I am very happy for them. God bless the little joys my island gives to me, and the beauty of its people!

Ps.. I plan to update this tomorrow, Tuesday, with the picture of the other 4 Miss Puerto Rico, who have become Miss Universe.

7 Comments:

Blogger Fred said...

I've always wanted to take a trip to Puerto Rico, but have never been able to find an excuse. Maybe this is it - I need to check out why so many women win the pagent.

Detective Fred on the case!

9:02 AM  
Blogger erika said...

She is very pretty I am glad she won.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Green Eyes said...

Ditto, what Erika said!

11:42 AM  
Blogger TMelendez said...

Detective Fred... given that you dont know the area.. I will be happy to be your tour guise.. bring your school buddies.. and I dont meant the ones you teach.

If we do Miss Blog I am soooo sure EG (Erika Girl) and GE will be up there.....!!

6:15 PM  
Blogger Leigh said...

I have to agree with erika and GE, she is beautiful.

8:07 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

She is definitely a knock out, no matter where she is from, but I understand your loving the fact that she won.

8:09 PM  
Blogger Southern Sweetheart said...

Whoo Hooo! She is a pretty lady. I didn't watch the pagent so thanks for cluing me in to who won!

1:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home