Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Spending the weekend

There are days, and then, there are days. I am taking this week off. So, there won't be many people around my life to share some of the things that were out of the normal this weekend, or tickled me in some way. So that leaves you.

I had been yearning all weekend to go for a long bike ride; twenty five - thirty miles. Saturday and Sunday were rainy days, so I had to put the brakes on that idea. Monday was a beautiful day, so after watching the Tour de France early in the morning, I was eager to go. I donned my Discovery Channel Cycling jersey, grabbed my helmet, a couple of 20 ounces-bottles of Powerade, top off my tires with air, and off I went. I usually go to the ATM only once a week, on Sundays, to take out my budgeted money; I had not gone so I took all of $11.00 I had with me. A mile away from home I figured I had left my cellular but I was not coming back home for it.

Six miles into my ride I noticed I was pedaling harder and not moving faster. I knew exactly what was wrong; my back tire was losing air. There was a gas station a mile away, so there was nothing much to worry about. However, the tire popped. No air was going to fix that. I had to walk back. I had no phone to call someone for a ride. Thank God there is a bike shop on the route I had taken. It was approximately 3 1/2 miles away. If you have walked a mile at a normal pace, it usually takes between 12 and 15 minutes. The shoes I wore were made for biking, not walking. By the time I got to the shop my left leg was killing me. "How much for a new tire?" - I asked. "With the tube and mounting your kind of tire would be $35.00". Well, I only had $11.00. Enough to buy water, put air in my tires, and buy a new tube, but not a new tire. The guys at the store know us riders. They fixed my tire and just told me to come back later.

I rode home again, grab my ATM card, and rode back to the store. An extra 5 miles, plus the wasted time. Don't worry, I grabbed my cellular this time. I got to the store, paid, and got ready to go again. After making my stop at the strip mall's exit, I got off the saddle to start pedaling fast and make up for the time I have lost. "POP"!!! There goes the new tire! I got off the bike, look, and there it was, a nail. A huge nail! I have not gotten a nail on my bike in over ten years. I walked back to the store. Only a few hundred feet away this time. As I opened the door they looked at me like I was crazy. At least I am sure from now on they will be able to give me credit since now they reaaaallly know me.

That night I talked to my dad on the phone for over 50 minutes. He doesn't like to talk that long, but he was in a good mood and was telling me all these stories. At the end I asked him if he had any stories left, he asked me why, and I told him that I had not been able to tell him mine; "Ohhh.. yes, you were going on a bike ride.. what happened?" I was thinking, lord I hope I do not get like that too early in life. Two minutes after hanging up he calls back. "What did you forget?" - I asked. He was dying laughing; "Nothing; I just wanted to tell you that I have been sitting here trying to shut off the TV with my cellular!!. Have you ever done anything like that?'.

"Well Dad, since you are asking, this morning while brewing coffee, I poured milk in my coffee cup and warmed it up in the microwave like I do everyday. After grabbing some OJ, I returned the container to the refrigerator. It usually goes next to the milk container, which, unlike every other morning was not there. After going crazy looking for the milk container, I found out I had stored it inside the microwave."

20 Comments:

Blogger erika said...

LOL well I have to say I have never tried to turn the TV off with my phone before but I do get my remotes messed up.

So I take it your not going bike riding in the near future?

10:24 AM  
Blogger TMelendez said...

Erika,
Not unless Im rented for a private bachelorette party and I have to show up in disguise.
T
PS I wont get outdanced!

12:34 PM  
Blogger Green Eyes said...

Like father, like son, eh? Too funny!

Sorry about your tire, twice... *giggles

Maybe it was a sign, you were delayed by angels to avoid danger. If that's the case, I thank them for their hard work!

Now, I think Erika and I need to rent a certain guy who promises not to be outdanced! I'm liking that idea a lot!

1:33 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

Hope you had a great 4th, mine was pretty quiet.

I've left a few things in the microwave myself, but never the milk. Great story. My life is much simpler as far as transportation - I just take the car wherever I want to go.

I'm off for another vacation, so I'll see you next week.

1:53 PM  
Blogger TMelendez said...

GE, thanks for the angels comment! At one point the battle between wanting to go on that ride so bad, and the "I dont think God wants me to ride today" was inmense.

As to the outdance part, I was angry I was not the one starring in "The Evolution Of Dance"

3:12 PM  
Blogger TMelendez said...

Fred..
Were you able to go park and watch the shuttle take off?

3:20 PM  
Blogger Green Eyes said...

That guy had some major hip action going on!

Are you trying to tell me that you can move your hips better than that? Oh, boy, this I've got to see!

3:58 PM  
Blogger TMelendez said...

Sober!

And more straight.

T :-D

4:17 PM  
Blogger Leigh said...

So did they give you a deal on the second tire. Like for free??

I have put the milk in the cupboard, but never the mircowave.

Have a great day.

8:22 AM  
Blogger erika said...

Well T I will be in Florida so we shall see if you can be out-danced!

9:45 AM  
Blogger TMelendez said...

Leigh.. fortunately the tire gets fixed with an 'injection' (it opens up on the inside, like a tampon (sorry best example) of the tire and with some liquid rubber seals the hole).

they did not charge me for that procedure, or the labor, but they did charged me for the inner tube... and additional $5.00.

Erika..'its going to be you begging for night night in the middle of the road' this time!

1:01 PM  
Blogger erika said...

Ohhh is that a threat??

2:04 PM  
Blogger Green Eyes said...

Hee Hee, T said Tampon!

T, with the big threats! You don't know who you're dealing with, do you? I could fill you in, but nah, this is going to be good and I get a front row seat! Woo Hoo!

3:10 PM  
Blogger TMelendez said...

Dear all...
I am being harrased in my own blog... saved these in case you dont hear from me in a while..!!

The twins are looking 2 touch fists and summon their twin powers to gang up on me..!!

....newbies!

4:15 PM  
Blogger Green Eyes said...

ROFLMAO!!! Thanks for the laugh!

TWIN POWER! *touching fists, sparks flying, our clothes miraculously change into hot superhero outfits* Oh yeah, we look hot!

T, do you really think someone feels sorry for you here? Just wondering...

4:40 PM  
Blogger TMelendez said...

GE.. just cause you have a good looking eye and a good looking tatoo you wont be spared...

We're talking Nacho Libre here!

T

6:05 PM  
Blogger TMelendez said...

I lost round #1 ..
the USA uniform is too much too handle..

thank god I had aan EKG this morning!

7:05 PM  
Blogger Cheri said...

It sounds like you and your dad had a great conversation...priceless.

And as for the bicycle...it was those sexy legs that must have some how caused all those problems. Can we see them again? lol

11:30 PM  
Blogger Green Eyes said...

Wow, a man that admits defeat! lol

I'm glad you had an EKG too. Now, dance some more for me, pretty please! And don't forget to shake that hot ass!

10:21 AM  
Blogger TMelendez said...

Cheri.. U R right..!! It must have been the Sexy Legs!!

GE.. I am.. your eye is watching me!

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home