Sunday, August 06, 2006

A Good Era


I was just sitting in front of my TV trying to settle all the thoughts regarding all the things I wanted to write about tonight. I was going to do a compilation of thoughts. Then, all of the sudden, why exercising men's favorite hobby (massaging the remote control... well second favorite hobby) I found PBS. Its sort of a fund raising campaign show dedicated to Disco music.

Well let me tell you, my 72 inch TV is blaring with the surround sound equipment and I am having a ball!! What a great era! I have something that I can be nostalgic about. I feel pity for the new generation; as if T.I. or Dem Franchise Boyz are going to be getting together to make an album 30 years from now. In my last post I wrote about MTV turning 25, and that definitely stroke a chord with my audience (those of you out there)! Yes, forget where were you when JR was shot, where were you the night that MTV went on the air?

But before MTV, there was the Disco era. The days of vinyl records. LP's!
God forbid you scratch them! Or, in my case, lord forbid you left your fingerprints on them. The era of 45's and 33's. Did anyone ever play a 72?
And of course, right about that time the old 8-tracks! That to the left my friends was what my first player looked like. I loved it! Thank you mom and dad for that! I spent hours with it. I learn some English with it!

My first '45? The Eagles, "Hotel California"; by mistake, I thought I was buying something else. But nowadays, everytime I hear the song, I think what a great first song to own. I also remember my second one; are you ready? "Da Doo Run Run, Da Doo Run Run!"

And that record player that I own, played over and over my very first LP; the original K-Tel album. I still remember the first song, Captain and Tenille's "Love will Keep us Together", followed by Frankie Valli's "My Eyes adored you". And my first incursion into sexual thoughts with the song "Chevy Van" ('Cause like a princess she was layin' there,Moonlight dancin' off her hair. She woke up and took me by the hand, She's gonna love me in my Chevy van And that's all right with me)Looking for the album cover all over the internet to include the graphic here, I found out that maybe not everything can be found on the web. The first time I fail to find something.

But of course, I did find a picture of the second album I ever bought; the Bee Gees soundtrack to "Saturday Night Fever". Before you ask, yes, I could dance like Tony Manero. It was how I learned how to dance. Play me "You should be Dancing" and I will give you the whole choreography. But, right now if I had the chance to romance someone and ask them to dance with me, I couldn't find better songs than "More Than A woman" and "If I can't have you".

And so here I am, dancing and singing at the top of my lungs;
"that's the way, uh huh, uh huh I like it"you make me feel like dancing", "you can ring my bell" (Im glad to figure this one out in my adulthood), "dance with the boogie, get down, cause the boogie nights are always the best in town", "get down, boogie, oogie oogie", "so I like to know where you got the notion, to rock the boat"(the number one search for people to hit my blog :-O? ) and of course some girls all time favorites likes "I will survive" and "Its raining men". And two of my favorite ballads ever; the Bee Gees' "How Deep is Your Love" and Peaches and Herb's "Reunited".

So give it to me girls and guys, what was your first album? In the meantime, "do a little dance, make a little love, get down tonight"!

11 Comments:

Blogger Leigh said...

I'm giggling to myself. Disco... hehehee. I can just see John Travolta gettting down.

Have a good Monday!!

3:52 AM  
Blogger Green Eyes said...

Now there's a visual! T dancing and singing, and movin' to the groovin'!

My memory is not like yours, T, I can't remember my first record. I do remember that I had one of Paula Abdul's hits, but can't even remember the title. I do, however, remember the video had the cartoon dog in it. Remember that one?

1:26 PM  
Blogger TMelendez said...

Leigh.. Im wondering why you are giggling.. anything you want to share?

GE..my blog is so much nicer with that eye there.. I believe the name of that video was "Opposites Attract".. are you trying to say that you are younger than me?wink*

4:06 PM  
Blogger erika said...

Did you think you were John Travolta? hee heee

8:56 PM  
Blogger TMelendez said...

Erika.. Think??

9:01 PM  
Blogger Awareness said...

My first album? Pre-disco.......I think it was the Partridge Family :)

Earth Wind and Fire were my all-time favourite to dance to in high school. I also loved "Best of My Love" Natalie Cole was a favourite as well.

But, that time in my life, I was more apt to be listening to Neil Young, Billy Joel, Cat Stevens, James Taylor and Carly Simon, Harry Chapin, Simon and Garfunkel.....it was that type of music that I leaned to. Though I loved to dance (and still do!!!)
Oh.........and of course the Rolling Stones. First time I saw them was in Buffalo.......Start Me Up was just released.

All the songs you mention Tony? Yes, I remember them well and fondly.......

9:26 PM  
Blogger Southern Sweetheart said...

JR died!!!!!???!! When?!

;)

10:25 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

72 inch TV? So -- are you hosting the Super Bowl party this year?

9:58 PM  
Blogger Leigh said...

Omg, I just realized my first record I bought myself was Samatha Fox, Touch me! Now I am giggling.

3:38 AM  
Blogger TMelendez said...

SS... Its been rumor it was that boy from BB6 that might have done it! Is mi 'girlfriend' still in?

Fred.. I hate my 72 inch TV!! The 32 in my bedroon looks like 19.

Leigh.. Im loving your disclosure!!

2:00 PM  
Blogger Southern Sweetheart said...

Yeah, she's still on the show!

1:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home