Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Katrina Anniversary


As adults sometimes we play a game called 'remember where you were when..' A year ago I was driving to work in the morning hours of the morning. I decided to tune my radio to the local radio station which simulcast the TV shows of NBC. I wanted to listen to the TODAY show in order to know what was happening with New Orleans as a storm named Katrina plowed into the coasts of Louisiana and Mississippi.

NBC's Brian Williams was reporting live from his cell phone from inside the Superdome relating how the storm had been so strong that it had open holes on the roof of the structure, rain was seeping in and some of the 30,000 people that sought shelter were getting wet. Early it had seemed that the doomsday scenario predicted by many experts had failed to develop. The levees had held up. But as the day went by, reports of the levees failure kept coming in, and right in front of our eyes, one of the biggest catastrophes of our era was taking place. And kept taking place. And is still taking place.

We all know what happened. We all know what did not get done. It is still a shame. As I sit here and write under the sound of a thunderstorm from Tropical Storm Ernesto, I think of those that who are left in some of the affected areas of New Orleans, and are facing another Storm season in the same conditions they ended the last one. I still think of the way there were being called 'refugees', and I wonder at what point did the storm take away their citizenship.

I am hoping that we have all learned something from this event. I wont plea to God's mercy to keep us save from another event like this. I plea to our citizens to do what it needs to be done so that something like this never, ever happens again in America.

6 Comments:

Blogger erika said...

Ya know I was thinking about that today too. I still find it hard to believe that it happened and that it's been a whole year.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Kayla said...

I can't imagine the chaos inside the superdome. I remember the horror stories, and I'm sure we only heard the half of it.
Tragedy.

Is that Nessie circling the globe?
(your clock)

5:45 PM  
Blogger Kayla said...

By the way..
Can I steal your Pluto joke for my blog?
Hilarious!

5:56 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

I wonder why we didn't learn more lessons after Andrew?

6:43 PM  
Blogger TMelendez said...

"Ya know" Erika.. It was so mind boggling last year when I was down and flustered over two weeks of living out of my suitcase cause I had no power in my house becuase of hurricane Wilma . And yet during those feelings I couldnt phatom what people from New orleans feel.

Kayla... Nessie the loch Ness Monster?? LMAO.. oh lord,, now Im not going to be able to look at thtat clock the same. And yes you have literary license to 'get fucking goofy' .. just please make sure the IAU doesnt mess with Uranus!

Fred... u feel me!! Thats the reason why I was so mad last year.. 13 years after Andrew, the story repeated itself.. who was it Churchill?- those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it? -- are you staying dry?

9:26 PM  
Blogger Korey said...

It's an anniversary that many may want to forget but that cannot be done until the damage gets cleaned up. I'd like to think that New Orleans will return to its former glory but that's hard to believe at this point.

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home