Sunday, August 13, 2006

Life is about BALANCE!!


Several years back I was participating in a conference call with the person who at that time was becoming my division's boss. I do not remember too many things he would tell us in those calls, but I do remember one thing; he said we needed to focus on making sure we had balance in our lives. Balance between work life and family life; between work life and social life, etc, etc. And since then, pretty much balance is in the forefront of my conscious living. At least I try.

My balance between work and home life is a little out of whack. I wish I could spend more time at home and less dealing with work. Today is Sunday, and like every Sunday, I spent sometime looking over the things that await me tomorrow and Tuesday. I am fighting that urge today; we'll see. One thing that kills me is the one hour average drive that I have to and from work. I am so much more productive when those two daily hours are erased from my life! I am more refreshed and rested. Think about it, that is another 1o hours in a week. Its like working an extra day.

We can also throw in there my social life. This suffers due to having only two days off, in which I seem to be spending too much time cleaning, doing laundry, undoing the mess I might have done during the week, etc,etc. Not to mention that I average a dismal 5 - 6 hours a night on a work week. Come Saturday and Sunday I cant peel myself off the bed until after 9a, and that's not good! (unless Im with someone).

How about that question that I hear often; "How's your love life?". Well, I am still too hurt over my last situation. Why would I spend my time being the best man that I can be to someone, just to have that person trample over me, and worst yet, never offer me closure, for whatever reason (I'd like to think she's too embarrassed). So, I cannot balance my wanting to share 'stuff' with someone with the fear of being done wrongly again. And oh, do not get me wrong, I do go out on my dates, but what us the point If I cannot give myself completely?

So everything in life must be balanced. I should have not ordered the combo turkey and chicken at the BBQ place yesterday; I should have just ordered turkey. I know that part of my charm is being a very nice guy, but still have a little edge. I know I like missing the traffic on the way back from work, but I need to make it home earlier. I need to balance the pain I still have over my mother's dead with the spirituality I have always had. And I still have to balance my expectation of people over their actual actions.

Finally, today my dad gave me a lesson about balance, without wanting to. I told him how I lost my balance on my bike on Friday, at about 20 mph, and how I have these nasty purple bruises on the inside part of my leg, right above and below my knee, along with a stiff knee with some swelling. He proceeded to say; "so tell me again, do you do this for recreational purposes, or are you that serious about it"? - Touché!

4 Comments:

Blogger erika said...

I think everyone losses their balance. I know what you mean about the 1 drive. I do that everyday too. Now if I have a chance to go out and have fun or clean my house. I figure that mess will be there when I get back.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Green Eyes said...

I hope you're feeling better!

Your Dad's a smart man!

2:24 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

For some reason, I was able to pull off the "I'm leaving at 5:00 no matter what" routine. For years, I'd see these people work until 8 or 9, then go home to a quick dinner and bed. It just didn't sit right with me.

If a meeting started after 5, I wasn't there. Unless it was absolutely urgent, I would tell my secretary it had to wait.

I was lucky, I guess, I got away with it for many years.

Balance = logevity and sanity. When it got out of whack, I left the corporate world. Now I'm in at 7:00 am, and out at 3:00 pm. That's balance.

8:55 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

Balance Balance.....how do you get this balance everybody keeps talking about??......OHHHHH you mean go to the mall and buy a pair of New Balance.....and then you will have balance....LOL

Have a great day!!!

11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home