Tuesday, August 01, 2006

TWO 4 Tuesday!

"Control tower to Man"!

I have heard once or twice in my life that men are controlled by their little head, to the point where they lose the big one. Yep! Its true! Sometimes we do some STUPID things! "Blame it on the Rain"!

A few days ago I was shooting the breeze with a female friend. LB is a beautiful woman, tall, slender, beautiful soft white skin, big green eyes, pretty blonde, straight-shoulder length hair, and a beautiful smile. She is unassuming and very unprovocative in her manners. Someone whose beauty you admire the more you spend time with her.

She was telling me there was this guy from work she did not want to run into. In a couple of business trips they did together, she started realizing that he tried to get them adjoining rooms most of the time. One of those times, the guy knock on her adjoining door, and when she opened, there he was standing naked, saying something more or less like, 'see what you are missing'.
What a romantic! I died laughing! What nerves! Ah, one more thing, LB is married.

But wait, I remembered seeing something like that, and or hearing about other stories from some of my girl-friends. Once I had an apartment which faced the complex jacuzzi. I was witness to many rendevouz. One night, a late 20's couple were "enjoying" each other's company. That was until the guy pulled out his penis and I overheard him say something like, 'do you like it? why dont you kiss it?'. The girl was like, 'put that thing back in there'. He insisted. He lost out. At least for that moment.

So here I am wondering, girls, what stupid things have you witnessed or heard guys say or do ( I have said some stupid things) to try to get some?



HAPPY BIRTHDAY MTV!!

Say it ain't so!!!!

25 years ago today, a black and white image of a man walking on the moon was playing on a channel near you. The minute he planted a flag down, the flag changed colors, a guitar riff blasted through your HI-FI TV, and the flag read MTV, the world's first twenty four hours video music television. It did not only change TV history, it was a turning point in history.

Appropiately enough the first video played was The BUGGLES, "Video Killed the Radio Star" .

We all might remember the VJ's; Mark Goodman, Nina Blackwood, Alan Hunter, JJ Jackson, and every male's crush, Martha Quinn. We remember the videos; the innovative Peter Gabriel videos, the animated videos like Dire Strait's "Money for Nothing", the fun ones from Cindy Lauper... that darn armadillo crossing the street in "Rock the Cashbah"... those guys from Dexy's Midnight Runner, in overalls singing in the sidewalk, "Come on Eilleen"... and maybe my favorite video of all time, A-Ha's "Take on me", where animation turned into reality and viceversa over and over.
Not to mention that lord forbid I would missed any videos by Journey or REO SpeedWagon. That Billy Idol's video for "White Wedding" used to give me the creeps. And I wouldn't watch any Black Sabbath or Alice Cooper videos. And I remember how much I hated watching that Nina, "99 luftballoons" video. There was WHAM, and Duran Duran. And then, there was the 'king', when he was cool, Michael Jackson. I think he lost me in that video where he got on top of the car and started smashing the windshield and grabbing his crotch a million times.

And so, there is a quick trip down memory lane for me, and with all these videos there is a piece of my history that I remember. Thank you MTV! And in your honor I play this musicvideo today.

But what about you? What videos did it for you?


14 Comments:

Blogger Southern Sweetheart said...

Part 1 - I've had too many to recall or list here --- many of which were of the flavor/variety that you saw take place at your jacuzzi - whipping it out and thinking that was foreplay. Enough already - put it up and go home 'cause I don't play that way.

Part 2 - MTV. Sorry T. I was never allowed to watch it growing up and for the most part I've always just skipped right over that channel. It's never done anything for me.

Happy Tuesday! Hope you've had a good day!....Oh - and WHAT NERVE of that coworker of your friend! I'd have slammed the door and hoped his penis got hit with it or shut in it. Idiot.

10:25 PM  
Blogger TMelendez said...

lol SS... powerful little guy that makes man feel powerful huh..

you missed out on MTV..? we are getting together someday and watching MTV Classics all day while we BBQ and drink some beers...

11:29 PM  
Blogger Southern Sweetheart said...

You got that right T. Powerful little guy alright - but quickly he retreats when embarrassed or doesn't get the response he wants!

Oh? Is that a date? Hmmmmm! Sounds fun!

12:09 AM  
Blogger erika said...

I feel old T. Thanks Thanks a lot!!

SO do I get an invite to the BBQ and MTV classics??

9:47 AM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

YOu are a true charmer, TM!

I can tell that you make a wonderful friend for a woman as well...

Hope you have a wonderful Wednesday.

Te pasas un buen dia.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Awareness said...

Gee.......Showy snowmen in Ft. Lauderdale?

Can't think of any stories off hand...
maybe I've suppressed them or something? Or maybe Canadian men are all gentlemen or impotent? No......that's not it. :)

Funny piece.

A colleague has just re-entered the dating game. She went out pubbing with a bunch of younger single women from the office and couldn't believe how disgusting the c'mon lines were in the meat market they found themselves in. She's decided to try another venue.

1:58 PM  
Blogger TMelendez said...

SS... lol.. from being embarass? from being insecure he retreats...
And of course we can make it a date.. and now that ERIKA would like in, a much better date!!! By the way ERIKA, how do you thinkg I feel?

Barbara, I try.. the sex part can only go soooo far..!

AWA... your response was funny!! Impotent Canadian men? lol... Go to ERIKAs blog so that you can see the top 10 pickup lines.

3:30 PM  
Blogger Leigh said...

Part 1 - I had a guy ask me once if I had any Irish in me, when I responed no, he asked if I would like some.

Part 2 - Man am I ever feeling old now. I remember good ole Boy George, and the Beasty Boys We've got the right to Party!

Hope you are having a good day!

12:05 PM  
Blogger Awareness said...

Hey there.........

I checked out the pick up lines. Some of them could actually work, if stated with the right tone and right glimmer in the eye. Not work on me, of course!!! Oh no!! I'm a married woman! Well.........I"d be damned flattered, and then of course I would walk away!!!
Yeah, if someone came up to me and asked me if I was lost because heaven's far away.........well.....hmmmm.....how would I react?? I'd LAUGH out loud now that I know it's on a top ten list!!!

There's a Canadian myth that a good Canuck must know how to make love in a canoe. I'm sure during March Break craziness on the beaches of Ft. Lauderdale, there are a bunch of hot and bothered Canuck boys using a pick up line about rocking his canoe. Hee hee!

1:30 PM  
Blogger TMelendez said...

Look at these two last comments from 'accross the border'.. (hum, how come I dont get any from Mexico?)

Leigh... doesnt make you feel old?? Arrghh My main reason for the post!

Awa.. I just remembered one of my spring breaks in Puerto Vallarta with an adorable Manito-bian.

2:44 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

Wow - I can't believe MTV is that old. Come to think of it, I can't believe I'm that old.

I play trivia with my students every so often and ask them if they know the first song that was played on MTV. Nowadays, they ask, "Does MTV play mucic videos?"?

My, how it's changed.

7:40 PM  
Blogger TMelendez said...

LMAO FRED... no kidding right.. what happen to the videos? Do they know who DEVO is?

Hum.. Fred .. no male comment regarding that first post huh?

8:04 PM  
Blogger Hale McKay said...

I've been asked to show it, but I never just flipped it out!

Fortunately I was just old enough that the music of that era didn't do anything for me.
...I can take pride in the fact, that I have never watched an entire video on MTV.

9:08 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

I loved the snowman pic...too funny!!!

One of the best MTV video's I enjoyed was ""Money for Nothing""

Some of the stupied things I have heard men say is....Ohhh she's just a friend!!!...LOL

Have a great day!!!

11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home