Monday, October 01, 2007

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month

The leading cause of death in the United States, according to the National Center for Health Statistics is Heart Disease, accounting for 28.5 % of all deaths. The second one, at 22.8 % is Cancer. Keeping the probababilities simple, we have a 50% chance of dying of either heart disease or cancer.

As much as I would like to put my efforts behind the
American Heart Association, it is cancer the cause that got my attention the first day 'I saw it' in a scan of my mother's body. While the disease sucker-punched and took all of me at the time, it also drew my ire and disposition. I declared war on it immediately, way before her one single death. Cancer might have won that battle, but there are many more that I believe I can help to fight.

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Among many themes, the one thing women need to be aware of is that early detection leads to successful treatments. Letting it go might prove lethal. Besides a women, you might be a mother, a sister, a wife, a grandmother. Cancer does not only lives physically in your body, but also mentally and emotionally, in you, as well as in those around you. There are many organizations that focus on cancer education, outreach program, patient support and most importantly fund raising programs that help in the research and development of new medicines and treatments.

In 1978, Nancy Goodman Brinker promised her dying sister Suzy that she would do everything possible to bring an end to breast cancer. In 1982 she founded the Susan G Komen For the Cure, the nation's larger private funder of cancer research and outreach community programs. They organize the nationwide Race for the Cure. Komen also host the Breast Cancer 3 Day walk. The American Cancer Society and their Making Strides Against Breast Cancer program put together the Relay For Life. And City of Hope, along with plenty of strong sponsors brings you the Walk for Hope.

And speaking of hope, I already said from the onset that fighting Malignant Neoplasms is my cause. While I choose to focus on those tumors that grow in the breast, I just do not like Cancer. Period! And since my mom's death I have had other reasons to feed my fire. So I would also like to make you aware of others organizations and events.

Let me start with the Lance Armstrong led, 10-days, San Diego to Washington DC, bicycle
Tour of Hope and 3-days Ride for the Roses. I am a supporter of his LIVESTRONG - Lance Armstrong Foundation which "believes that in the battle with cancer, unity is strength, knowledge is power and attitude is everything. The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society fight blood cancers and they put together the amazing program called Team in Training. Among other foundations check Katie Couric's National Colorectal Research Alliance.

And while Colon, Breast,
Prostate, lymphoma and Leukemia, in that order, account for 33.1% of all cancer related deaths, let me finish by mentioning that Lung Cancer by far is the main culprit accounting for 30.9% . The recent deaths of Peter Jennings and Dana Reeves should bring well deserved attention to the cause. An example of that is MSNBC Keith Olberman 'editorial/testimonial' while reporting Mr Jennings' death , and while you can read the article, I prefer you click on the Launch button provided and watch the video.


Recently, I became aware of myelodysplastic syndromes. MDS, formerly known as "preleukemia", a diverse collection of hematological conditions united by ineffective production of blood cells. Although not a true malignant neoplasm, MDS is nevertheless classified within the hematological neoplasms. This disease took the life of my most beloved friend's mother.

Finally, if you will, click here and go to my webpage at the Race for the Cure in Miami, and you can securely donate a dollar, or two, with your credit card, and help me raise funds for the cause.

Visit YAHOO, Breast Cancer Awareness!

All of you women out there, please remember, October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. BE AWARE! Pat yourself on your back, once you have checked yourself on the front. My Mom would probably be still here, if she would have detected her condition earlier.

Labels: , , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger erika said...

I am patting my self on the back! Did it!

9:55 AM  
Blogger Cheri said...

Thanks for the info T-! Always can count on you for the important stuff!! XOXO

10:34 PM  
Blogger Southern Sweetheart said...

Great post T. I'm very well aware of October being Breast Cancer Awareness month -- my mom is a survivor of the disease and it certainly hit home when she was diagnosed. I have friends affected by it as well as other cancers and we must do all we can to fight them and find cures for them. I commend you for posting the information here - I hope people will take note and follow up on the links you provided and contribute to the cure.

1:09 AM  
Blogger Awareness said...

Hi Tony...
Very informative post. I don't think there is anyone out there who hasn't been impacted by cancer. My sister is a survivor of Hodgkin's Disease. My grandmother survived breast cancer, which she detected herself at age 80.
Have you heard of Terry Fox? He is probably the biggest "hero" in Canada. 26 years ago, after he lost his leg to cancer, he decided he wanted to run across the country. He started in Newfoundland by dipping his artificial leg into the Atlantic and began his "Marathon of Hope." He ran between 20-30 miles a day...everyday....... His goal was to collect a dollar from every Canadian to put towards cancer research.
During his first couple of months, he quietly did his famous "step, hop, hop" through the Maritime provinces with the help of his best friend who drove the van behind him. It wasn't until he was near the Quebec/Ontario border that the media and the Canadian Cancer Society finally paid attention. By the time he reached Toronto, the whole country was behind him. Thousands cheered him on as he ran up to the podium set up at the city hall.....
Throughout that summer, many people ran with him, held fundraisers, and supported his unbelievable efforts. That September, while in northern Ontario, Terry fell ill. His cancer had returned and it attacked his lungs. He was flown home to British Columbia and the country went into shock. Terry died the following summer, but his legacy and his belief in setting goals continues. Every September, Terry Fox runs take place all across Canada to raise money. On his anniversary of stopping his run, school kids celebrate his life and his wishes. To this day, if you asked any kid in this country who the most important Canadian was.........chances are they would tell you about Terry Fox.

Livestrong!
PS. Glad to see you back in blogland. You were missed.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Green Eyes said...

Great post. Sending you a hug, I'm sorry about your mom.

9:43 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

I lost a dear high school friend to breast cancer, and have given every year to another who walks in her honor.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Lori said...

Great post......the more people that is aware the better!!!

Have a great day!!!

2:11 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

Great post......the more people that is aware the better!!!

Have a great day!!!

2:11 PM  
Blogger BarbaraFromCalifornia said...

Great post, and thank you for the reminder to all women, and even men. ALthough rare, men can too be victims of breast cancer.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Hale McKay said...

A great post with a great message and a great purpose.

Hope you are okay. Been a while since you posted - it is now 10/29.

10:42 PM  
Blogger Fred said...

Hey, Tony, where are you these days?

7:49 PM  
Blogger Green Eyes said...

Just wanted to say HI! Hope you're having a great New Year and that's why you haven't been around.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Hale McKay said...

Blogdom to Tony!

You okay? I trust you are.

10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home