Friday, March 09, 2007

Call Tones


I am, what you call in marketing, an early adopter; I was one of the first ones among my friends to own a cell, then a camera phone, the latest phone, a song as a ring tone, and now a call tone. A call tone is a song(or sound) that you can have play in your cell for a incoming call. So when you call that phone, you are treated to a custom sound.

I chose for my first Call Tone, James Blunt song, "You Are Beautiful". I received many compliments over it, many people were pleasantly surprised, and 'baffled' about how I had done that. I knew that if I chose a Call Tone, I would have to keep changing it to keep it fresh. But I was not prepared for all the comments.

My close female friends loved it! My guy friends couldn't let a remark or two go unsaid. One cool thing about call tones is that you can custom them to play at a certain time, or for certain people only. So, the song that I selected for the one person that I have loved in my life was "ADORE" by Prince ("Until the end of times, I'll be there 4 U; u own my heart and mind, I truly adore U, if God one day stroke me blind, your beauty I'd still see. Love is 2 weak 2 define, just what you mean to me"). One thing though, I am not sure that she would ever hear it.

Anyway, about a week or so ago my friend Wendy asked me why would I have a song about 'unattainable love' as my call tone. Huuuummmm?? I never thought of that song like that. But after that, I could not take that comment out of my head. She was right.

So on the net I went trying to surf for a song that would be great for me to have. I was mostly focusing on actual 'hits'. See, "Charlie's Angels" theme song would have not been a good choice ( I ran into my friend Shannon today, and tha was her ringtone; perfect for her!!) So, among the songs that I like what were the possibilities?

"What goes around comes around" by Justin Timberlake, "How to Save a Life" by The Fray ,"Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol , "Keep holding on" by Avril Lavigne, "Waiting on the world to change" by John Meyer, "Lips of an angel" by Hinder, "If everyone cared" by Nickelback (tickets for a March 18th concert are sitting in my room)... Ok, wait; the theme on all these songs is love gone bad, cheating and deceit, and obsessive hope. They are all in my I-Pod. Darn, what does that mean? It made me wonder, about how many songs we like without really paying complete attention to the lyrics.

Well, after all the search, I decided on Gnarls Barkley's "Crazy". Not only does it have a catchy beat, but, when we do what we like, when we are who we are, and when we love who we love, despite all the losing battles, and despite those who think we are crazy, we can die happy when we are done.
Now my friend Leo says that he used to love that song, but not anymore since he hears it on my phone all the time!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous not so sweet little miss said...

I was at the hospital the other day, in the waiting room where phones are allowed on. I heard 'Redneck Woman' by Gretchen Wilson and looked back to see someone's grandma answer the phone. I couldn't help, but giggle.

I set a different ringtone for each of my friends and acquaintances, being a SAHM I have a bit of free time, lol. My fave ringtone is 'Dirty little Secret' by All American Rejects. I don't use it anymore, but when I hear the song I remember why I used it and I smile. Memories of a long ago life very rarely visited.

9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home